Sometimes this happens. Especially if we don’t have a previous relationship with them. Nevertheless, we will do all in our power to encourage them to share information. Why?
- Adoptive families sometimes need to temporarily move away from the emotionally challenging process of adoption. At times we give them a minute to focus on bonding with the child. Typically, they will ultimately recognize the benefit of communicating.
- Some adoptive families want a closed adoption. They really don’t want any contact. However, this happens less and less frequently. We believe there is a value to maintaining at least some connection and encourage this connection whenever possible.
- Circumstances beyond their control may keep adoptive families from staying in contact, even if this was not their original plan.
What do you do?
- You can ask HeartsConnect to reach out to them. We will try through any contacts they have given us. Each time you post something, an email goes to them inviting them to reach out.
- Be patient. Hope they respond but avoid posting anything that shows irritation or impatience with their lack of interaction. Encourage and invite.
- If and when they do respond, be kind. Indicate you are pleased they want to be connected with you.